Florida is one of 23 states that has remote online notarization policies. A few highlights on what to expect:
- The title company prepares the required documents, and then emails or uploads them to an online portal.
- The title company verifies personal information and identification by video.
- Buyers and Sellers sign documents electronically.
- The Notary Public uses audio-video conference technology to notarize a signer’s electronic signature on electronic documents.
* The ability to close remotely also depends on the buyer’s lender, and some don’t have the technology to offer a fully virtual closing or work with buyers in states that don’t allow them, says Tendayi Kapfidze, chief economist at LendingTree.
“Most lenders are working toward trying to make this happen, lobbying to get laws in place to allow this, and focusing on how they can make mobile closings with notaries more safe,” he says.